Along the same lines of my post last Monday, we’re again talking about the ever-importance of breathing. For kids, proper breathing and craniofacial alignment could save a family $5,000-6,000 per child (average cost of braces).
Who is Dr. Buteyko and why is he important?
- Russian doc who studied dying patients and the changes that occurred (Bummer job, right??).
- He noticed and could predict exactly how long a patient was going to live by the way the patient was breathing.
- As illness advanced, he noticed breathing movements from their chests increased, breathing became more audible and faster, patients sighed more, and breathed through their mouths.
- Started to implement the “Buteyko Method” by teaching patients how to breathe properly, and began to treat various conditions such as hay fever, blocked nose, snoring, sleep apnea, asthma, blood pressure, anxiety, stress, panic attacks, and depression.
- The “Buteyko Method” is based on three basic principles: Nasal breathing, reduced breathing, and relaxation. My last blog entry (2/9/14) went into more detail on how to breathe properly!
Who is Dr. Mew and why is he important?
- Orthodontist who read and was interested in Dr. Buteyko’s work
- Specialized in facial structure of growing kids.
- Took a photograph of every patient to study the craniofacial structure of the individual.
- Found that mouth breathing was related to kids craniofacial structure to grow narrow and long instead of wide.
- He also found the jaws are set back from the natural position, causing a double chin later in life.
- Crooked teeth were also a byproduct of mouth breathing due to the changes in jaw angle and lowering of the chin.
- Concluded and spent rest of career on teaching children how to breathe properly to ensure normal craniofacial structure growth and teeth alignment to avoid needing braces.
Who is Dr. Nolte and why is he important?
- That would be me! Chiropractor, Kinesiologist, and natural health enthusiast.
- Has read and is interested in the work of Dr. Butyko and Dr. Mew.
- Technique that specializes in the individualization of each patient and the different stages of health throughout life.
- Good news is: Very large portion of treatment is working with the cranial structure of the individual. Having cranial bones in alignment will have a cascade of effects seen throughout the body.
- Specifically for kids: this is the age when the cranial bones are becoming more rigid and set into place. Getting their cranial bones in alignment along with teaching them how to breathe properly are vitally important for not only avoiding braces but also sustained health throughout life!
- For all ages: cranial bone alignment affects the muscle balance along the spine, which could be causing increased stress on one side of the pelvis over the other. The cranium, of course, houses the brain and directly effects the pituitary gland (hormone balance). The healing possibilities are endless.
- Also loves to educate patients on all things natural health. Breathing, posture, diet, kinesiology, chiropractic, yoga, meditation, exercise, herbal supplementation, etc. These are all things that should be individualized to each patient and luckily we can do that for you!