Winter has never felt so good.
We’re all on the backstretch of this whole winter thing and some of us may need some help appreciating life again! I got you covered. I have an overwhelming list of ideas that I’ve somehow narrowed down to 10 on how to start appreciating the cold and create mind, body health. So take a deep breath, sit back, relax, and read. If that deep breath felt heavy and full of stress, refer back to my previous blog entries!
- You need to see the sun! Move your desk/workstation closer to the window, open up the blinds, or take breaks to go check out if the sun still exists. This is important for the mental side of things: You need to see the sun. The sun is the source of light in this world. If you don’t see the natural sun, you live in artificial light. We are not mentally trained to deal with the absence of the sun; therefore make it a point to go say hello to the sun every so often! Another possibility is moving your lunch or dinner table closer to the window.
- Herbal Tea is used by many to help combat the winter-time cold. Chamomile and Ginger tea are two types that will do the trick.
- Essential oil diffuser. This will actually increase the negative ion count in the air which neutralizes allergens and kills germs. Throw in a favorite essential oil blend and you got yourself an amazing tool to use on a daily basis.
- Go for a walk. Yes, outside! Preferably find a trail in the woods. First of all, the wind will be cut down in the woods. Secondly, the air will be cleaner for you to practice breathing and letting stress go. Lastly, it’s in nature.
- Sleep regularly. People tend to sleep more in the winter because it’s darker out and you might feel run-down all the time. It’s natural to feel fatigued in winter but don’t allow this to make you feel depressed and cause a need to stay in bed.
- Work on a project to stimulate the right side of your brain. The right side of your brain controls expression and creativity. It’s stimulated by colors, pictures, music, hands-on activities, etc. For men, create something with your hands. Play an instrument, put together a piece of furniture, re-arrange your man-cave, etc. For women, continue to be expressive. Instead of talking about how you feel, get a paintbrush, paint, and a canvass and let ‘er rip! Dancing, singing, poetry, drawing, and doing yoga all will help stimulate creativity in your life.
- Try out a yoga, Zumba, or meditation class. These promote group atmosphere and are low impact activities that will help you stay mentally and physically fit during these cold times!
- Eat warm, healthy foods. Slow cookers are your friend, and there are so many ways to eat healthy with them! Try to avoid going out to eat all the time because you don’t have the energy to cook. It’s such a mental battle, but you can do it! It just takes planning. Slow cookers are your friend…with vegetables.
- Find the right supplementation for you. Your body is doing an amazing job at handling the various stress of life. From diet, posture, relationships, work, physical activity, air toxicities, etc. You have a lot to handle and you’re doing an amazing job to even be here in this moment reading this blog. Would extra Vitamin D, Vitamin C, fish oil be helpful for you? We can use muscle testing (Kinesiology) to see which supplements your body will respond to well and which ones won’t be responsive.
- You just went for a nice long walk outside after eating a delicious dinner you prepared in the slow cooker all day (with lots of vegetables), now it’s time to find an amazing book and a favorite blanket to let the night roll in. You also have lavender diffusing in the air and a cup of chamomile tea, but that’s beside the point. The point is you’re relaxed. Relaxing helps move winter right along. Spring and summer will be here short enough, enjoy this moment!